1. To apply and participate in any programme you must be 18 years or older. However, with the necessary consent of a parent or guardian you may participate before turning 18 provided all the necessary documents have been duly signed beforehand.
2. Your application will be accepted on the clear understanding that you are aware of the risks involved in this kind of volunteer programme and participates entirely at your own risk. While Galagos Wildlife Conservation (GWC) takes every precaution to ensure the safety of all volunteers, no responsibility can be accepted for any loss of property, personal injury, illness, accident delay or expense sustained by you or your dependants while participating in the programme. All volunteers applying for a GWC programme must upon arrival at their destination complete and sign an agreement containing undertakings, consents, disclaimers, covenants not to sue and indemnities. A copy of that agreement can be found by clicking here. Equally GWC are not responsible for loss or expense due to war, riots, strikes, terrorist activities, natural disasters, or insolvencies or bankruptcies (or similar) of unconnected third parties or any other event or circumstances that constitute a ‘force majeure’.
3. Once GWC has received your application to join the programme a provisional booking will be sent to you via e-mail.
4. The person signing the application form is responsible for all payments in respect of the booking. The deposit payment of £50.00 is payable by the you immediately upon receipt of provisional booking confirmation from GWC. This £50.00 deposit is non-refundable. The outstanding balance must be paid no later than six weeks prior to travel. Late payments will be subject to a surcharge of at least £10 increasing the later the payment is made and GWC reserves the right to disqualify an application. If you apply a month or less before the start of your programme then the full price is payable at the time of application.
5. GWC reserves the right to alter programme prices due to any increases in fuel costs, park entrance fees or fluctuation of exchange rates.
Responsibilities of Volunteers
6. You are responsible for your own travel arrangements, expenses and insurance during the programme. You must apply for visas in good time if you require them. GWC cannot be held liable for any costs of delays or repatriation costs for you if you are refused entry to any country due to incorrect or incomplete documentation.
7. It is your responsibility to have adequate travel and medical insurance and you MUST provide the following details; name of insurance company, policy number and the 24hour emergency contact number, to GWC prior to travel.
8. By participating the you accept that you will be subjected to various demands, including but not limited to, physical and emotional demands.
9. Although GWC endeavour to run a comfortable and clean camp, you must be aware and accept that standards of living, food and accommodation in South Africa may be below the general standards of your own country.
10. At the time of booking you MUST inform GWC of any medical condition or dietary requirements, allergies and any other physical or mental condition that could affect your programme. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have any medication you require during your programme. GWC cannot be held liable for any consequence arising out of your failure or refusal to take advice or medication as prescribed by a medical practitioner both prior to and during your programme. If GWC feel they are unable to properly accommodate your medical requirements they reserve the right to decline your application. GWC may request a reference from your medical practitioner stating you are medically fit for travel and able to participate in the programme.
11. It is your responsibility to check & follow your medical practitioners advice on the current inoculations/medical precautions you must take prior to travelling to South Africa.
12. At all times you must respect and follow the health and safety procedures as set out by GWC.
13. At all times you must comply with all relevant laws, regulations and customs of South Africa and you are expected to behave in a responsible, respectful and courteous manner.
14. If you participate in excursions in or outside of the GWC programme you do so entirely at your own risk.
Amendments, Cancellations and Extensions
15. Amendments and cancellations must be notified to GWC via email to the Volunteer Coordinator.
16. If after the booking you wish to amend your programme dates GWC will do their best to meet your request depending on availability but cannot be held liable if amendments cannot be met.
17. The date on which a cancellation email is received by GWC or its agents will determine the cancellation charges applicable. If you cancel the following charges apply: More than 4 weeks before departure 20% of the balance amount is refundable minus bank charges. Please note GWC will refund the Rand amount received at time of payment, GWC cannot be held liable for any change in exchange rate between payment received and payment refunded. Less than 4 weeks before arrival date of total cost is retained by GWC. Final payment for your project should be made no more or less than 4 weeks prior to your arrival date.
18. It is very unlikely GWC will need to cancel a programme, however should a situation occur where cancellation is necessary GWC reserve the right to do so. In this situation you will receive a full refund. GWC cannot be held liable for any other expenses incurred by you as a result of any other arrangements you have already made.
19. Extensions are charged at the rate published on the website at the time the extension is requested and providing there is adequate space available on the programme for the duration of the requested extension.
20. If you fail to join a programme, join after departure, or leave prior to completion, no refunds or liability will be accepted by GWC. Unused services may not be traded or used by other volunteers. If you choose to leave prior to completion, you must sign a release form and your participation in the programme will be cancelled.
Complaints, termination and expulsion
21. If you wish to make a complaint about the procedures leading up to your departure, call or email the volunteer coordinator and GWC will endeavour to deal with the problem as quickly as possible.
22. If you wish to make a complaint in relation to the programme, you should bring it to the attention of the project director or reserve management who will endeavour to resolve the issue within a reasonable time. Please note during your programme you need to show a high level of independence and initiative in dealing with problems as they arise.
23. All complaints that are made known to GWC will be recorded and every reasonable effort will be made to rectify the problem.
24. GWC reserve the right to take appropriate action up to and including expulsion from the programme in the event of any of the following;
• Serious rowdiness or drunkenness.
• Thoughtless or rude behaviour.
• Repeated failure to turn up to work without adequate reason.
• Displaying behaviour that could jeopardise the future of GWC on the nature reserve or in South Africa.
Please note any of the following will result in immediate expulsion;
• Disobeying instructions from staff members relating to health and safety,
• Behaving in any way that could harm or injure any member (including staff) of the programme or any other person.
• Breaking local laws.
• Possession, taking or supplying illegal substances.
• Defaming the GWC programme or the character of any programme personnel.
25. A disciplinary problem will first be brought to your attention verbally by a member of staff, and if such behaviour continues you will receive two written warnings before more severe action will be taken.
26. Expulsion from the programme is at the discretion of GWC project staff and in such cases you will not be entitled to any refund from GWC. GWC will not have any further responsibility for your food and accommodation or any other additional costs incurred. In such circumstances transportation to the nearest town will be provided.
You agree to be bound by these application/programme conditions. No agent, representative or volunteer of GWC has any right to alter, vary or waive any of these conditions. Application information must be complete and accurate, any false declaration renders any application or claim whatsoever void and you could further be held liable for prosecution by the laws governing South Africa.
These terms and conditions are deemed to be included in your contract, by whoever it is made and wherever it is made, and they are subject to and shall be governed and construed according to South African law.